ADVERTISEMENT

SOCCER--Ryan Adcock Surpasses 50 goals @ Crossroads Christian

eastern

Jun 1, 2001
Ryan Adcock eclipses 50 goals, 50 assists at Crossroads
By Brandon White bwhite@hendersondispatch.com;

HENDERSON — Senior Ryan Adcock has become a key centerpiece of the culture change going on with Crossroads Christian’s soccer team.
The program is enjoying its best year in school history due to Adcock’s leadership and athleticism. Through 16 games, Adcock has 18 goals and 32 assists, to put him at 55 and 54 in those respective categories for his Colts career.
Adcock has enjoyed being a pivotal part of Crossroads’ burgeoning success under head coach Holden Coghill, but admitted to being surprised at the amount of growth he has experienced during the past five years.
“I didn’t think something like this would be possible,” Adcock said. “I’ve been playing varsity since my eighth-grade year and I never once thought I would get to 50 goals and 50 assists just in my varsity career. I’m very thankful, but I never would have done this without my teammates.”

Adcock has seen the Crossroads soccer program undergo significant change since he stepped onto the pitch for the first time.
His first two years on the team saw him learn from two different head coaches, Aaron Hale and Josh Carroll, before Crossroads Athletic Director Scottie Richardson brought in Coghill to oversee long-term changes to the program.
The rebuilding process featured the typical hurdles, with Crossroads only winning two games in Coghill’s first year, but Adcock was ready to embrace the system Coghill installed and take on more responsibilities during his last three years.
“We were really just getting to know each other while trying to build a program that first year,” Adcock said. “The goal was to establish something that would be successful long after myself and others graduated. There were a lot of stepping stones, but I think everything has finally come together this year.”
Following another slow year primarily dominated by the COVID-19 pandemic, Coghill knew that Adcock was going to be an important factor in deciding whether or not Crossroads would finally contend for an NCISAA 1A championship.

Coghill expected Adcock to put up exceptional numbers due to his skill set, but the increased experience and depth on Crossroads’ roster has enabled him to create more scoring opportunities for himself and the rest of the team.
“The quote that kept popping into my head during the summer was ‘let Ryan be Ryan,’ ” Coghill said. “Fortunately, we’ve had the personnel to the point where [Ryan] isn’t overloaded by helping out on defense and getting back to the midfield. He has a completely free role and I trust him, which says a lot about Ryan as a player.”
One aspect of Adcock’s performance where Coghill has seen tremendous improvement is his leadership skills. Coghill said that Adcock primarily leads by example, but is now unafraid to critique his teammates and challenge them to be the best version of themselves.
Although Adcock only has a handful of games remaining as a Crossroads player, Coghill credits him for revitalizing a program that had won four games or less every single season before 2021, and is confident his impact will continue long after he graduates from the school.
“Ryan is getting everyone involved,” Coghill said. “We have a bunch of guys scoring goals now from open play and a lot that comes from [Ryan] passing the ball. This is exactly what I envisioned when I took this job. We have built this program on the back of guys like Ryan.”

The efficiency Crossroads has enjoyed during the year has Adcock optimistic about possibly winning an NCISAA 1A championship, but he said there are many things he and his teammates still need to tweak in order to accomplish that goal.
Adcock has been emphasizing communication and accountability in recent weeks during conference play, things he thinks are imperative if the men’s soccer program wishes to join the golf team in bringing a state championship back to Crossroads.
A state championship “would be great,” Adcock said. “It’s my senior year, and something like that would be the greatest thing to happen in my life. There would be no words to describe it, but we have to play together as a team. Role players have to fulfill their role and there can’t be any letdowns during the game. Everybody has to come in ready to play.”
Contact Brandon White at bwhite@hendersondispatch.com or by phone at 252-436-2840

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News