ADVERTISEMENT

Arendell Parrott's Rachel Okonkwo reaches 1,000-point milestone

eastern

Jun 1, 2001
Arendell Parrott's Rachel Okonkwo reaches 1,000-point milestone

Rachel Okonkwo has been a big reason in Arendell Parrott’s success over the years, and she reached a major accomplishment Dec. 20.

In a victory over Heide Trask, the senior reached the 1,000-point mark in her career during the third quarter. Okonkwo said it was a major accomplishment for her and she’s thankful to have pulled it off.

“It means a lot,” Okonkwo said. “I’ve played varsity since the eighth grade and this has always been a goal of mine.”

Patriots coach Kelly Johnson is in his seventh season with the team and Okonkwo has been on five of the team’s six consecutive double-digit winning seasons, solidified with Wednesday’s 46-18 victory against

Cape Fear Academy to improve to 10-2 in the 2022-23 campaign. Johnson said the team has used her in multiple position this season and she’s flourished throughout.

“She’s made All-State the past two years and been our MVP the past three,” Johnson said. “She’s a great leader in practice, during games and our team camp. Very seldom do you get to coach one of your best players who’s also one of your hardest workers — she wants to get better and is very competitive.

We’ve had her playing every position on the court and while she didn’t score much Tuesday (in a 49-31 win over Wake Christian), she had 10 rebounds and six assists. She’s a great all-around basketball player.”

Okonkwo also added 11 rebounds and seven assists against Heide Trask during her milestone game.
“It doesn’t matter what position I’m playing, I’m just happy to be out there,” Okonkwo said. “I prefer the post, but I can still drive to the basket as a guard. I’ve looked to pass a little more this year though.”

As of Wednesday, APA has gone 69-36 during Okonkwo’s career. As she looks toward the rest of the season, Okonkwo said she’s ready to help the team pick up more victories.

“Our main goal is winning the conference championship,” Okonkwo said. “I’m looking forward to Senior Night even though it’s going to be a said time, and I’m ready for the playoffs.”

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News