ADVERTISEMENT

Girls---Ja'Kea Brunson Becomes Wayne Country Day All Time Leading Scorer

eastern

Jun 1, 2001
Wayne Country Day's Ja'Kea Brunson breaks school scoring record as Chargers win over Eastern Wayne
GOLDSBORO — Wayne Country Day’s Ja’Kea Brunson was honored twice for her scoring prowess Thursday.

Brunson posted 24 points in the Chargers’ 70-32 victory over Eastern Wayne to improve to 12-0 on the season. The senior now has 2,117 points in her storied career at WCDS, setting the girls’ record for points and has 10 more regular-season contests to add to the total.

“I tried not to think about it, but it was kind of hard not to,” Brunson said. “It feels good, but I’m just glad I have teammates who trust me — points are points.”

Before the game, there was a special ceremony for Brunson on the court as she was presented a basketball commemorating her 2,000th point for the Chargers.

“It’s been an amazing career,” Brunson said, as she made Varsity in the eighth grade. “I feel special breaking the record, but I hope someone in the future can break mine.”

As far as the game, Wayne Country Day never trailed, getting out to a 10-2 start. Eastern Wayne (7-3) kept its close for a quarter and a half, but the Chargers used a 6-2 run to close the half and jump out to a 34-21 advantage.

Eastern Wayne never got within 12 from there and Brunson scored the record-breaking baskets with 2:29 remaining in the third. The Chargers pushed their advantage to as many as 39.

“In the second half, we really locked in and played our style of basketball,” Brunson said.
Wayne Country Day coach Zeara McDuffie said she couldn’t ask for any more with a strong start to the 2022-23 campaign.

“This is my first year coaching, so to still be undefeated and Je’Kea getting her accolades, it’s a blessing,” Chargers coach Zeara McDuffie said. “I knew she was going to get it in this game.

For Wayne Country Day, Syrah Davis and Jada Vanderhorst each had 15 points and Jayla Hicks added 11. Brunson also had seven rebounds, six assists and six steals

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News