ADVERTISEMENT

Nathan Faulk Steps Down as WCD Boys BB Coach

eastern

Jun 1, 2001
Faulk steps down at WCDS
By Chandler Johnson cjohnson@newsargus.com Jun 29, 2022

Wayne Country Day School boys basketball coach Nathan Faulk recently announced he is not returning for a third season at the school.

Faulk said he made the decision to leave due to the school’s athletic director stepping down and his desire to focus on coaching his Amateur Athletic Union team, Flight 22.

“When athletic director David Flowers took another position, that meant a change in leadership, and with the success of the Flight 22 program, I just thought the timing was good to kind of step away,” Faulk said.
Faulk lives in Wilmington and said the commute from Wilmington to Goldsboro was another factor that influenced his decision.

“Obliviously making that drive back and forth from Wilmington to Wayne Country Day every day from the fall through March ... from a health standpoint, and with the way Flight 22 was going, and with David Flowers stepping away, it seemed like things were connecting for a departure,” Faulk said.

During his two years at WCDS, Faulk built up a 48-11 overall record. The Chargers won the 2020 N.C. Independent Schools Athletic Association Coastal Plains Conference title and reached the NCISAA 2A semifinals in 2020 and 2021.

“I’m very proud of the two-year stint that we had there,” Faulk said. “One final four (appearance) and two sweet 16 (tournament wins). That was an unbelievable ride and much credit to the kids and the coaches that helped make that happen.”

Faulk said he owes much of his success to Flowers, who let him make most of the decisions regarding the boys basketball program.

“I give a lot of credit to (athletic director) Flowers,” Faulk said. “He allowed me to come in and have full rein on how I wanted to do things from the kind of players I wanted to have, to keep and go get. It was a very hands-off approach by him. I really give him a lot of credit for the freedom I was able to have.”

Faulk said he is thankful he was able to coach skilled players during his two years at the school. Every player on the WCDS roster meant something to Faulk, but two student-athletes stood out from the pack.

“You have to start with Jaden Cooper. Jaden was a phenomenal leader and just a really great player to build a program around,” Faulk said. “This year, Collin Tanner was a phenomenal player himself. What he did this year and how he did it is untouched. I’ve already coached arguably two of the top players to come to that school in those two years.”

Even though his time at WCDS has come to an end, Faulk is not permanently closing the door on returning to coach high school basketball.

“I will never close the door. Opportunities will always open. I would never say I am stepping away from high school basketball completely,” Faulk said. “I would have to look for something that is local and more advantageous to where I am living currently.”

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News